Chicken Shawarma Wraps with Herbed Whipped Cottage Cheese
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large brown onion, cut into thick wedges
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander, paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- flake salt, fresh ground black pepper
- Zest ½ lemon
- 2 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + extra for cooking
- 250g Brancourts cottage cheese
- Handful mint, roughly chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- ¼ cup pickled chilis chopped
- Large handful parsley, mint, coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sumac
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 small pita wraps or tortillas, warmed
- Lemon wedges to serve, optional.
Cut each chicken thigh into 3 pieces and combine with the onion, spices, lemon zest, 1 clove garlic, salt, pepper & 1 tbsp of olive oil. Let this marinate for at least 30 minutes.
In a small food processor or blender, combine the cottage cheese, remaining 1 clove garlic, mint & lemon, and some fresh ground black pepper. Blend to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, chilis, herbs, sumac, lemon, olive oil. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Heat a large frying pan over a high heat and a good splash of olive oil and the marinated chicken and onions. Cook for 2 minutes then turn the chicken over and move everything around the pan so the onions are cooking evenly and caramelising. Cook for 2-3 minutes more, toss everything around a few times throughout. Tip everything onto a plate and let rest for 3 minutes
To serve, slice the chicken into thin strips mix back with the onions and juices on the plate and pile onto the warm pitas spoon over some of the salad and finish with a big spoon of the herbed cottage cheese. Serve with extra lemon wedges if desired.