Lasagne with Brancourts ‘Bechamel’
The whole family will love every mouthful of this rich and aromatic Italian Classic (until it disappears!)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 750g good quality beef sausages, casing removed, filling crumbled (or mince)
• 1 large onion, thinly sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp thyme or 2 tsp rosemary (chopped fresh or dried)
• 1⁄2 cup of wine
• 700ml tomato passata
• 500ml chicken or beef stock
• 1 bunch basil, plus extra to serve
• 6 lasagne sheets
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella
• 100g grated parmesan
Brancourts Cottage Cheese bechamel
• 500g Brancourts Cottage Cheese
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Heat olive oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage, breaking up the lumps with a spoon, for 10-12 mins until browned.
2. Caramelise the onion, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 mins. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring until fragrant. Deglaze with the wine and cook for 1 min or until reduced. Add the passata, stock and three- quarters of basil. Bring to a simmer.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, for 30-35 mins until sauce is reduced.
Brancourts Cottage cheese bechamel:
1. Combine the Brancourts Cottage Cheese and egg in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
1. Spoon one-third of the sausage mixture over the base of a 1.5L ovenproof dish. Top with 2 lasagne sheets, trimming to fit. Layer with ‘bechamel,’ cheese, sausage, lasagne sheets and repeat.
2. Bake for 45 mins or until golden and cooked through. Set aside for 10 mins to cool.
3. Serve with a rocket and pear salad.