Poached Chicken and Crunchy Greens Salad with Cottage Cheese Ranch Dressing
Crunch into lunch with a mouth-watering combination of creamy summer salad and tender protein.
Prep and cook: 30 mins, plus cooling
- 2 chicken breasts (about 600g)
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 300g baby green beans, trimmed
- 4 baby cos, leaves separated
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, quartered
- Dill sprigs and finely chopped chives, to serve
Cottage Cheese Ranch Dressing
- 1⁄2 tub (125g) Brancourts Cottage Cheese
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Place the chicken in a medium saucepan, add chicken stock and 3 cups (750ml) cold water, season with salt and pepper, then bring to a simmer over a medium-high heat. Immediately remove the chicken from the heat, cover and set aside for 1 hour to cool in poaching liquid. Shred and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Meanwhile, for the ranch dressing, process all ingredients and 2 tbsps cold water in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the beans in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 5 mins. Drain and rinse under cold running water to cool.
4. Divide the cos, beans, cucumber, chicken and avocado among bowls. Drizzle with ranch dressing and scatter with extra herbs to serve.
NOTE: This chicken-poaching method is super easy. All you require is some time, and the result is delicious tender chicken!
TIP: Swap out the poached chicken for store-bought barbeque chicken if you’re short on time.
TIP 2: This recipe is great for work lunches. Prep everything on Sunday and have your lunches from Monday to Wednesday sorted!